- Bridges, Brian. "Culture, Korean Residents and Reconciliation."
In Japan and Korea in the 1990s: From Antagonism to Adjustment. Brookfield,
VT and Aldershot, Hants, England: Edward Elgar, 1993, pp. 118-142.
- Chang, Dal-Joong. Economic Control and Political Authoritarianism:
The Role of Japanese Corporations in Korean Politics, 1965-1979. Seoul,
Korea: Sogang University Press, 1985.
- Chee, C.I. "Alien Registration Law of Japan and the International
Covenant for Civil and Political Rights." Korea and World Affairs,
- Chee, C.I. "Japan's Post-War Denationalization of the Korean Minority
in International Law." Korea and World Affairs, 1983.
- Cheong, Sung Hwa. Politics of Anti-Japanese Sentiment in Korea:
Japanese - South Korean Relations under the American Occupation, 1945-1952I.
New York: Greenwood Press, 1991.
- Cheong, Sung Hwa. "A Study of the Origin of the Legal Status of
Korean Residents in Japan: 1945-1951." Korea Journal 32(1),
Spring 1992, pp. 43-60.
- Cho, Soon Sung. "Korea-Japan Treaty of 1965, supplementary agreements."
Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan, V. 4. Tokyo: Kodansha, 1983, p.
- Conde, David. "The Korean Minority in Japan." Far Eastern
Survey 16(4), February 26, 1947, pp. 41-45.
- De Vos, George A. and William O. Wetherall. JapanÕs Minorities:
Burakumin, Koreans and Ainu. London: Minority Rights Group, 1974.
- Field, Norma . "Beyond Envy, Boredom, and Suffering: Toward a
Emancipatory Politics for Resident Koreans and Other Japanese." Positions
1(3), Winter 1994.
- Goldstein, Michael. Minority Status and Radicalism in Japan.
Denver: Center on International Race Relations, University of Denver, 1972.
- Hardacre, Helen. The Religion of Japan's Korean Minority: the Preservation
of Ethnic Identity. xxxxx: xxxxx, 1984.
- Hoffman, Diane M. "Changing Faces, Changing Places -- The New
Koreans in Japan." Japan Quarterly 39(4), October 1992, pp.
- IDOC/International Documentation No. 65: Marginalization of Peoples:
Racial Oppression in Japan, Political Repression in South Korea, Economic
Slavery in Brazil. New York: IDOC/North America, September 1974, pp. 4-42.
- Iwasawa, Yuji. "Legal Treatment of Koreans in Japan -- The Impact
of International Human-Rights Law on Japanese Law." Geneva: The Law
- Kajimura Hideki. "Confronting Japanese Racism: Toward a Korean
Identity." AMPO: Japan-Asia Quarterly Review 20(1&2), 1988,
- Kim Pu Ja. "Looking at Sexual Slavery from a Zainichi Perspective."
In AMPO: Japan-Asia Quarterly Review, Ed. Voices from the Japanese
Women's Movement. Armonk, NY and London, England: M.E. Sharpe, 1996, pp.
- "Koreans in Japan." Part I: Korea Journal 2(4), April
1, 1962, pp. 49-52. Part II: Korea Journal 2(5), May 1, 1962, pp.
- Lee, Changsoo. "Ethnic Discrimination and Conflict: The Case of
the Korean Minority in Japan." In William A. Veenhoven, Ed. Case
Studies on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms: A World Survey. Vol.
6. Netherlands, The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff, 1976, pp. 388-404.
- Lee, Changsoo, Ed. Koreans in Japan: Ethnic Conflict and Accommodation.
Berkeley: University of California Press, 1985.
- Lee, Changsoo. "Koreans in Japan." Kodansha Encyclopedia
of Japan, V. 4. Tokyo: Kodansha, 1983, p. 291-2.
- Lee, Chong-Sik. Japan and Korea: The Political Dimension. Stanford,
CA: Hoover Institution Press, Stanford University, 1985.
- Maher, John C. and Yumiko Kawanishi, Yong Y™ Yi. "Maintaining
Culture and Language: Koreans in Osaka, with Ikuno-ku, Osaka: Centre of
Hope and Struggle." In Maher, John C. and Gaynor Macdonald, Diversity
in Japanese Culture and Language. London and New York: Kegan Paul International,
199?, pp. 160-177.
- McCormack, Gavan. Twice Victims: Koreans at Hiroshima. Tokyo
(?): The Korean Peace Committee in Japan, 1981.
- Min, Pyong Gap. "A Comparison of the Korean Minorities in China
and Japan." International Migration Review 26(1), Spring 1992,
- Mitchell, Richard H. The Korean Minority in Japan. Berkeley:
University of California Press, 1969.
- Nelson, Beverly. "Korean Literature in Japan, A Case Study: Ri
Kai Sei." In David R. McCann, John Middleton, and Edward J. Shultz,
Eds. Studies on Korea in Transition. Honolulu: Center for Korean
Studies, University of Hawaii, 1977. Pp. 126-159.
- Oguri, Keitaro. "Resident Koreans are Native Speakers Too."
Japan Quarterly 37(4), October 1990, pp. 421-431.
- Research/Action Institute for Koreans in Japan. JapanÕs Subtle
Apartheid: The Korean Minority Now. Tokyo: Research/Action Institute
for Koreans in Japan, 1990.
- Ryang, Sonia. "Critical Synthesis on North Korea as Embodied Ideology."
Social Epistemology 6(1), 1992, pp. 3-12.
- Ryang, Sonia. "Do Words Stand for Faith: Linguistic Life of North
Korean Children in Japan." Critique of Anthropology 16(3),
1996, pp. 281-301.
- Ryang, Sonia. "Ethno-Political Community of North Koreans in Japan."
International Migration, 1990.
- Ryang, Sonia. "Indoctrination or Rationalization? The Anthropology
of ÔNorth KoreansÕ in Japan," Critique of Anthropology
- Ryang, Sonia. "Poverty of Language and the Reproduction of Ideology:
Korean Language for Chongryun." Journal of Asian and African Studies
28(3-4), PP. 230-242.
- Ryang, Sonia. North Koreans in Japan: Language, Ideology, and Identity.
Boulder, CO: Westview, 1997.
- Ryang, Sonia. "Why Koreans Oppose the Fingerprint Law." Japan
- Seo, Akwi and John Storey. "Strangers Within." Tokyo Journal,
September 1993, pp. 35-41.
- Suzuki, David and Keibo Oiwa. "The Korean Mirror." In The
Japan We Never Knew; A Journey of Discovery. Toronto: Stoddart, 1996,
- Umakoshi, T. "The Education of Korean Children in Japan."
In D. Rothermund and J. Simon, Eds. Education and the Integration of
Minorities. xxxx: xxxx, 1987.
- Utsumi, Aiko. "Korean Women Refuse Fingerprinting." AMPO:
Japan-Asia Quarterly Review 2-3(18), 1986.
- Wagner, Edward W. The Korean Minority in Japan. New York: Institute
of Pacific Relations, 1951.
- Weiner, Michael. Origins of the Korean Community in Japan, 1910-1923.
Berkeley: University of California Press, 1989.
- Weiner, Michael. Race and Migration in Imperial Japan. London
and New York: Routledge, 1994.
- Weiner, Michael. "The Representation of Absence and the Absence
of Representation: Korean Victims of the Atomic Bomb." In Weiner,
Michael, Ed. Japan's Minorities: The Illusion of Homogeneity. London
and New York: Routledge, 1997, pp. 79-107.
- Wells, Kenneth M. "Background to the March First Movement: Koreans
in Japan, 1905-1919." Korean Studies V. 13, 1989, pp. 1-21.
Translations of fiction and poetry by Zainichi authors:
- Chong Chuwol. "Two Names," "A Will," "My Visionary
Country," "The Sad History of a Sole-Pasting Woman," "Sleep,
My Good Child." In Lowitz, Leza and Miyuki Aoyama, Ed. and Trans.
Other Side River: Free Verse; Contemporary Japanese Women's Poetry,
Volume 2. Berkeley: Stone Bridge Press, 1995, pp. 40-49.
- Lee Yang Ji. "Yu-hee" (excerpt from Yuhi). Trans. Constance
Prener. In Helen Mitsios, Ed. New Japanese Voices: The Best Contemporary
Fiction from Japan. New York: Atlantic Monthly Press, 1991, pp. 55-67.
- Ri Kai-sei (Yi Hoe-song). "The Woman Who Fulled Clothes."
Trans. Beverly Nelson. In Peter Lee, Ed. Flowers of Fire: Twentieth-Century
Korean Stories, revised edition. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press,
1986, pp. 344-372.
Dissertations and theses (I have only included
those over 50 pages long):
- Abe, Kazuhiro. Japanese Capitalism and the Korean Minority in Japan:
Class, Race, and Racism. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of California,
Los Angeles, 1989.
- Fuju, Arata. Koreans in Japan. Thesis. Harvard Law School, 1986.
- Kang, Miliann. Religion and Ethnic Protest: The Korean Minority
in Japan. A.B. Thesis. Harvard University, 1988.
- Kim, Hong-Kyun. Koreans in Japan: A Legacy of Bitterness. M.A.
thesis. University of Virginia, 1988.
- Koizumi, Junko. Koreans in Japan. M.A. thesis. Dartmouth University,
- Lee, Alice K. Korean ins Japan; Their Influence on Korean-Japanese
Relations. M.A. thesis. Monterey, Ca; Naval Postgraduate School, 1979.
- Lee, Sandra Soo Jin. Social Memory and Ethnicity: The Aging of Korean
Residents in Japan. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of California, San
Francisco with the University of California, Berkeley, 1996.
- Park, Soon-Chul. The Problem of Korean Residents in Japan. M.A.
thesis. University of San Francisco, 1977.
- Shim, Eui-Sup. Racial Discrimination in Japan: The Case of the Korean
Residents. L.L.M. thesis. University of California, Los Angeles, 198?.
- Somers, David I. Assimilation, Repatriation or Ethnic Isolation:
Choices Confronting the Korean Minority in Japan. M.A. thesis. University
of Kansas, 1978.
- Silverberg, Miriam Rom. The Massacre of Koreans after the Great
Kanto Earthquake. M.A. thesis. Georgetown University, 1979.
- Mann, Elisa Akiko. Identity Crisis and the Cycle of Discrimination:
Koreans and Burakumin in Japan. A.B. thesis. Harvard University, 1993.
- Maruyama, Mari. The Korean Minority: A Key to "Kokusaika"
in Japan. M.A. thesis. University of Washington, 1992.
- Warren, William Halford. Koreans in Japan: Movement, Distribution,
and Landscape. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Hawaii, 1994.
[ SIDE-A] [ SIDE-B
] [ HANBoard ]